Huevos Rancheros (translated “rancher’s eggs”) is a traditional Mexican breakfast dish. Eggs are typically cooked sunny-side up so the yolk blends with all the other flavors on the plate. The corn tortilla counts as a whole grain serving, and with salsa and other vegetable toppings makes a wonderful way to get your day started. Serve with a Lila Downs or Eydie Gorma record playing in the background…an optional ingredient, but not nearly as delicious!
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large egg (per person)
- 1 medium corn tortilla (per person)
- 1/4 cup refried pinto beans
- 1/4 cup your favorite salsa
- 1/4 cup fresh toppings (cilantro, tomato, scallions, or jaleneno (optional))
- 2 Tablespoons Aged Cheese ((optional))
- Chop cilantro, tomato or whatever toppings you are using.
- Heat beans in a small pan, cook eggs in another pan with oil, however you prefer them.
- Heat tortillas in a pan or microwave in a damp paper towel.
- Assemble; top tortilla with warm beans, cheese if using, then the egg.
- Spoon with salsa and garnish veggies of choice.
Enjoy your dish and the music amigos!