This is a simple soup you can modify to suit your taste and your pantry. Use whatever veggies you have on hand. Top each bowl with fresh cilantro, sliced radish, scallions, or whatever you choose…pepitas, avocado, jalapenos…the choices are limitless!
Simple Mexican Vegetable Soup
- oil for cooking
- 3 stalks celery (chopped)
- 2 large carrots (chopped)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/4 head cabbage (chopped)
- 1 cup frozen or canned corn
- 1/4 bunch cilantro (chopped)
- 1 can diced tomatoes with chiles
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- pepper to taste
In a large stock pot, add oil and sauté onion on medium heat until cooked but not browned, adding garlic in after a couple minutes. Add in all veggies, except garnish, reserving some cilantro also.
Add water or stock, salt, pepper, cayenne and bring to a boil. Turn down heat and simmer until veggies are cooked through, about 20 minutes.
Season to taste.
- Top a bowl with fresh cilantro, sliced radish, scallions, or whatever you choose…pepitas, avocado, jalapenos…the choices are limitless!